Learning and Loving Together

Welcome to our homeschool. We believe in family coming first and in sharing our lives learning, loving, and growing together every day. Here I plan to share tips that have worked for us, learning ideas, and thoughts relating to homeschooling and mothering.



Thursday, January 13, 2011

How I Teach Reading

Reading is one of my favorite things to teach.  I love watching them read on their own for the first time.  It's one of the best feelings in the world to me.  I use lots of different games and activities throughout the process and I'll share specific activities with you in later posts.  For this one I just want to share the basic method I use.  I always start out with a stuffed duck we call Mr. Duck.  He helps them figure out blending sounds through various games.  What happens is I teach them how to blend 2 or 3 letters together and then they practice and Mr. Duck tries to blend with them and he is just can't figure it out.  ;)  So they have to teach him.  It reinforces the concept really well and they enjoy playing with him.  After they get the concept of blending, I start them out in the book, "The Reading Lesson". 

Each lesson starts with 3 new sounds. Then a page to practice those sounds.
Then there are a couple of pages of sound practice, words, and phrases/sentences.
Then there are a few more pages of sentences and stories using the new sounds combined with the old sounds they have already learned.  In fact the very first lesson has them reading little stories. (It's the only lesson that starts with 5 new sounds.)

Both of my girls old enough have loved this book.  It's simple, each lesson builds upon the last, and they love reading stories so soon.  Another fun thing I add to this book is characters to play with.  Both of my older girls have loved playing make believe, so I've always added a lot of make believe and play to our learning.  We've used stuffed animals, dolls, and imaginary friends to play and learn along with them.  Our latest friends are pictured below and participate in my little 6 year old Emily's reading lessons.  One of the lessons had a penguin, a lion, and an eagle on each page.  Emily loved these three so much I photocopied them, colored them in, and laminated them so they can follow her throughout the book.  I have them talk to Emily as she does the lesson.  The eagle is named Ethan Eagle and he's very serious and intelligent.  He keeps her focused on her lesson.  ;)  The penguin is named Patty Penguin and she is a sweet 6 year old girl Penguin who will take turns reading with Emily every now and then and when she can't figure out a word, Emily will help her.  The lion is named Leo Lion and he's a bit mischievous, but is a good little lion.  He's not as far into the book as Emily so everyday she reads an older story to him she's already read and then listens to him read it back and helps him with any words he does not know.  This provides great review and reinforcement and most importantly she loves it.  :)


To this book I also have a few favorites I add.  We use Bob books, which are wonderful to get them reading stories right away.  We also use "Happy Phonics" which is a great method of teaching reading that uses all games.  I also love McGuffey Readers and so we will read out of those, as well.  Once they are reading well, we start reading the series called "Reading to Learn".  It is WONDERFUL.  Every story has a values based lesson that involves God and choosing the right.  They have books all the way through 8th Grade.  I highly recommend these as they are so interesting and have brought many great discussions into our home.  I have always felt that the most important thing for children to learn when they are old enough for academics is reading.  Once they can read well, they can learn about anything and there's no greater pleasure than to find your child curled up with a good classic book reading for pleasure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a creative mommy! I love how you weave make believe into their learning so much. Such lucky little girls to have a mommy like you. :)

Karen